More than 700 Quebec artists and cultural workers call on the City of Montreal to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people 


French follow 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

Xavier Dolan, NARCY, Luc Picard, Safia Nolin, Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, Mani Soleymanlou and more than 600 signatories ask municipal elected officials to support the motion on August 24 

Tiohtià:ke / Mooniyang / Montreal, August 17, 2026 – More than 700 Quebec artists, cultural workers and cultural organizations have signed a joint statement calling on members of Montreal City Council to vote in favour of the motion in solidarity with the Palestinian people on August 24, 2026. 

The statement is an initiative of the Quebec Artists Against Apartheid Club, in response to a call from the Montreal Anti-Apartheid collective. Signatories include Xavier Dolan, NARCY, Luc Picard, Virginie Fortin, Florence Longpré, Philippe Falardeau, Safia Nolin, Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, Mani Soleymanlou, Miryam Charles, Raed Hammoud, Léane Labrèche-Dor, Julie Le Breton, Fanny Britt, Debbie Lynch-White, Catherine Brunet, Pier-Philippe Chevigny, Myriam Verreault, Charlie Khalil Prince, Sophie Dupuis, Tranna Wintour, Emna Achour, Phara Thibault and Xavier Watso. They come from across Quebec’s film, television, theatre, music, dance, literature and visual arts communities. 

Several cultural organizations and collectives have also endorsed the statement, including Grande Mobilisation pour les Arts (GMAQ), Réalisatrices Équitables, Éditions du remue-ménage, Funambules Médias, Suoni Per Il Popolo, Vidéographe, Teesri Duniya Theatre, Festival Filministes, Plein(s) Écran(s) and Artistes pour la Paix. 

For the signatories, this mobilization stems directly from the role artists play in making visible the realities and experiences that governments too often seek to obscure. 

“Artists have a responsibility to remain attentive to the lives and stories that governments would prefer to prevent us from seeing. We cannot talk about human dignity in our work and then remain silent when an entire people is being denied that dignity, with the complicity of our governments,” said Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, filmmaker and author

The statement recalls that Montreal has previously taken a stand against apartheid. In 1987, Mayor Jean Doré refused to award municipal contracts to companies that profited from South Africa’s apartheid regime. A few months after his release, Nelson Mandela visited Montreal and highlighted the city’s contribution to the international struggle against apartheid. 

The signatories are now asking Montreal to honour this legacy and use its political and institutional power to take a clear stand against the persistent violations of international law in Palestine and Lebanon. 

“Montréal has always been a city of groundbreakers. We innovate, we re-imagine, we think forward and we co-exist, in the street, like no other city in this world. As an Arab, Muslim, deeply-rooted artist, the violence committed upon Palestine and across our region doesn’t only affect my mind, it affects my body, my soul and my community. This is why we have a duty at this juncture in humanity to take a stand against Apartheid, together, as one body of people. Each One, Reach One.” said NARCY, MultiMedia Artist and professor

The motion calls on the City of Montreal to recognize and denounce the apartheid regime imposed in Palestine and the genocide being perpetrated there. It also affirms the City’s solidarity with the Palestinian people and all civilian victims of hostilities in the region. 

The signatories argue that this position must be based on the consistent and universal application of human rights. 

“Solidarity cannot be selective. We cannot ask people to oppose oppression when it affects our own communities while remaining silent when Palestinians are denied freedom, safety and dignity. Montreal must demonstrate that its commitment to human rights applies to everyone,” said Tranna Wintour, comedian, author and performing artist

The motion also calls on Montreal to suspend its institutional ties with the current Israeli government, its institutions and municipalities until Israel returns to its internationally recognized borders, ceases its violations of the rights of the Palestinian people and respects international law. 

For filmmaker Pier-Philippe Chevigny, the August 24 vote will be a historic moment that distinguishes concrete positions from declarations of neutrality. 

“As a political filmmaker, I believe we cannot underestimate the historic weight of the vote that city council members will be called upon to cast. One day, the Netanyahu government will fall. That is inevitable. When that happens, as at the end of the Nazi regime, those who were complicit, those who maintained a façade of neutrality while supporting continued economic ties with Israel, will have to face the judgment of history. When that time comes, Montreal filmmakers will remember August 24, 2026,” said Pier-Philippe Chevigny, filmmaker

At the same time, the motion reaffirms the importance of combating all forms of racism, including antisemitism and Islamophobia. It specifies that Jewish people cannot be held responsible for the actions of the Israeli state solely because of their Jewish identity. 

The statement brings together artists from different disciplines, generations and communities. The signatories express their solidarity, in particular, with Montreal artists from Muslim, Jewish and Arab communities who are directly experiencing the consequences of this tragedy. They are also calling for Montreal’s solidarity to extend to Lebanese populations affected by violence and displacement. 

Charlie Khalil Prince, choreographer, connects this call to the broader need to oppose colonial violence and the erasure of the Palestinian and Lebanese peoples: 

“In the context of the genocide perpetrated by the colonial Zionist regime in Palestine , and as this same regime seeks to dispossess, annex and render unlivable the land of South Lebanon, we have the obligation to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian and Lebanese people. We must reject colonialism, occupation, apartheid, dispossession and the systematic dehumanization of Palestinian and Lebanese lives, as well as refuse the normalization of genocide and the erasure of our histories, lands and right to self-determination. 

I believe Montréal, as a city with a history of standing against apartheid, has a responsibility to act. 

As artists and cultural workers, we ​have the responsibility to refuse silence and stand against systems of colonial violence wherever they occur. Free Palestine. Free Lebanon.” 

Beyond a symbolic declaration, the signatories are asking the City to examine its own ties with companies and institutions that contribute to the actions of the Israeli government. They believe that municipal silence in the face of these activities also makes Montreal responsible. 

“The City of Montreal’s inaction in the face of the atrocities committed against the Palestinian people is shameful. By failing to denounce the ongoing genocide in Gaza and the illegal colonization of the occupied Palestinian territories in the West Bank, Montreal makes us, its citizens, complicit in its silence. The city is also complicit by allowing companies based within its territory to produce and sell military goods to the Israeli government. We are speaking out today to break this silence and defend the idea of a city where respect for human rights, peace and international law are unquestionable values, and where no form of racism or discrimination is tolerated,” said Laura-Ève Lambert, author. 

This demand for action does not stem from a rejection of Montreal, but from an attachment to the city and the values it claims to defend. The signatories want to be able to take pride in seeing Montreal play a leading role in the fight against apartheid and human rights violations. 

“I am an artist deeply in love with my city and I refuse to let it be complicit in crimes against humanity of which the Palestinian people are victims. It would be a great source of pride to see Montreal adopt a firm position against apartheid and lead the fight to bring an end to the atrocities in Palestine and Lebanon,” said Coralie Laperrière, comedian and author.  

Finally, this mobilization demonstrates a growing desire within Quebec’s cultural sector to use artists’ creative work and public visibility to amplify voices that are too often ignored. 

“My role as an artist is not simply to clown around and entertain. Singer-songwriter Nina Simone said it was our ‘duty to reflect the times.’ It is impossible to reflect our times, to write, perform or create, without fighting for respect for human dignity, and therefore without demanding that our governments take a clear position against the ongoing genocide in Palestine. My role is and always will be to use my voice to amplify those whom people refuse to hear. As public figures, we enjoy an enormous platform, sometimes disproportionate to our relevance, and now is the time to use it wisely,” said Emna Achour, columnist and comedian.  

The motion will be submitted to a vote of Montreal City Council on August 24, 2026

The complete statement and list of signatories are available here: https://mtlantiapartheid.ca/club-a-a-a 

About the Quebec Artists Against Apartheid Club 

The Quebec Artists Against Apartheid Club was founded in June 2026 by artists and cultural workers who came together to support the work of Montreal Anti-Apartheid by mobilizing Quebec’s cultural sector. 

– 30 – 

Information and interview requests:
Quebec Artists Against Apartheid Club
clubdesartistesquebsantiapartheid@proton.me 

POUR DIFFUSION IMMÉDIATE 

Plus de 700 artistes et travailleur·euse·s culturel·le·s du Québec appellent la Ville de Montréal à se montrer solidaire du peuple palestinien 

Xavier Dolan, NARCY, Luc Picard, Safia Nolin, Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, Mani Soleymanlou et plus de 600 signataires demandent aux élu·e·s municipaux de soutenir la motion le 24 août 

Tiohtià:ke / Mooniyang / Montréal, le 17 août 2026 – Plus de 700 artistes, travailleur·euse·s culturel·le·s et organismes culturels du Québec ont signé une déclaration commune appelant les membres du conseil municipal de la Ville de Montréal à voter en faveur de la motion de solidarité avec le peuple palestinien le 24 août 2026. 

La déclaration est une initiative du Club anti-apartheid des artistes québécois, en réponse à l’appel du collectif Montréal Anti-Apartheid. Parmi les signataires figurent Xavier Dolan, NARCY, Luc Picard, Virginie Fortin, Florence Longpré, Philippe Falardeau, Safia Nolin, Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, Mani Soleymanlou, Miryam Charles, Raed Hammoud, Léane Labrèche-Dor, Julie Le Breton, Fanny Britt, Debbie Lynch-White, Catherine Brunet, Pier-Philippe Chevigny,Myriam Verreault, Charlie Khalil Prince, Sophie Dupuis, Tranna Wintour, Emna Achour, Phara Thibault et Xavier Watso, ainsi que des artistes et des travailleur·euse·s issu·e·s des milieux québécois du cinéma, de la télévision, du théâtre, de la musique, de la danse, de la littérature et des arts visuels. 

Des organismes et collectifs culturels ont également appuyé la déclaration, dont Grande Mobilisation pour les Arts (GMAQ), Réalisatrices Équitables, les Éditions du remue-ménage, Funambules Médias, Suoni Per Il Popolo, Vidéographe, Teesri Duniya Theatre, le Festival Filministes, Plein(s) Écran(s) et Artistes pour la Paix. 

« Les artistes ont la responsabilité de rester attentifs aux vies et aux récits que les gouvernements préféreraient nous empêcher de voir. Nous ne pouvons pas parler de dignité humaine dans notre travail et ensuite garder le silence lorsqu’un peuple entier se voit privé de cette dignité, avec la complicité de nos gouvernements », a déclaré Anaïs Barbeau-Lavalette, cinéaste et autrice.  

La déclaration rappelle que Montréal a déjà pris position contre l’apartheid. En 1987, le maire Jean Doré a refusé d’accorder des contrats municipaux à des entreprises qui profitaient du régime d’apartheid en Afrique du Sud. Quelques mois après sa libération, Nelson Mandela s’est rendu à Montréal et a souligné la contribution de la ville à la lutte internationale contre l’apartheid.  

Les signataires demandent à Montréal d’honorer cet héritage en prenant clairement position face aux violations persistantes du droit international en Palestine et au Liban. 

« Montréal a toujours été une ville qui ouvre la voie. Nous innovons, nous réinventons, nous pensons à l’avenir et nous coexistons dans la rue comme nulle part ailleurs au monde. En tant qu’artiste arabe et musulman profondément ancré dans cette ville, la violence infligée à la Palestine et partout dans notre région ne touche pas seulement mon esprit, elle touche mon corps, mon âme et ma communauté. C’est pourquoi, à ce moment charnière de l’histoire de l’humanité, nous avons le devoir de prendre position ensemble contre l’apartheid, comme un seul corps, un seul peuple. À chacun de tendre la main à l’autre.»  NARCY, artiste multimédia et professeur», a déclaré NARCY, Artiste Multimédia  et professeur 

La motion demande à la Ville de Montréal de reconnaître et de dénoncer le régime d’apartheid imposé en Palestine et le génocide qui y est perpétré. Elle affirme également la solidarité de la Ville avec le peuple palestinien et l’ensemble des victimes civiles des hostilités dans la région. 

Cette prise de position, soutiennent les signataires, doit reposer sur une application cohérente et universelle des droits de la personne.  

« La solidarité ne peut pas être sélective. Nous ne pouvons pas demander aux gens de s’opposer à l’oppression lorsqu’elle touche nos propres communautés tout en gardant le silence lorsque les Palestiniens et Palestiniennes sont privés de liberté, de sécurité et de dignité. Montréal doit démontrer que son engagement envers les droits de la personne s’applique à tout le monde. »a déclaré Tranna Wintour, humoriste, autrice et artiste de la scène 

La motion demande également à Montréal de suspendre ses liens institutionnels avec l’actuel gouvernement israélien, ses institutions et ses municipalités jusqu’à ce qu’Israël retourne à ses frontières internationalement reconnues, cesse ses violations des droits du peuple palestinien et respecte le droit international. 

Pour la cinéaste Pier-Philippe Chevigny, le vote du 24 août constituera un moment historique qui permettra de départager les prises de position concrètes des déclarations de neutralité. 

« Comme cinéaste politique, je pense qu’on ne peut sous-évaluer le poids historique du vote auquel les membres du conseil municipal seront soumis. Un jour, le gouvernement Netanyahu s’effondrera, c’est inévitable. À ce moment-là, comme à la fin du régime nazi, ceux qui se sont montrés complices, ceux qui ont présenté une neutralité de façade tout en soutenant le maintien des échanges économiques avec Israël devront faire face au tribunal de l’histoire. À ce moment-là, les cinéastes montréalais se souviendront du 24 août 2026. »

La motion réaffirme également l’importance de combattre toutes les formes de racisme, notamment l’antisémitisme et l’islamophobie. Elle précise que les personnes juives ne peuvent être tenues responsables des actions de l’État d’israélien du fait de leur identité juive. 

La déclaration rassemble des artistes de différentes disciplines, générations et communautés, témoignant d’une volonté grandissante au sein du milieu culturel montréalais de voir la Ville poser des gestes concrets. 

Charlie Khalil Prince, chorégraphe, relie et appel à la nécessité de s’opposer plus largement à la violence coloniale et à l’effacement des peuples palestinien et libanais:  

“Alors que le génocide perpétré par le régime colonial sioniste en Palestine se poursuit, et que ce même régime cherche à déposséder le peuple libanais de ses terres, à annexer et à rendre inhabitable le Sud-Liban, nous avons l’obligation d’être solidaires des peuples palestinien et libanais. Nous devons rejeter le colonialisme, l’occupation, l’apartheid, la dépossession et la déshumanisation systématique des vies palestiniennes et libanaises. Nous devons également refuser la normalisation du génocide ainsi que l’effacement de nos histoires, de nos terres et de notre droit à l’autodétermination. Je crois que Montréal, en tant que ville qui a une histoire de lutte contre l’apartheid, a la responsabilité d’agir. En tant qu’artistes et travailleur·euse·s culturel·le·s, nous devons refuser de nous taire et nous opposer aux systèmes de violence coloniale, partout où ils sévissent. Palestine libre. Liban libre.”   

Au-delà d’une déclaration symbolique, les signataires demandent à la ville d’examiner ses propres liens avec des entreprises et des institutions qui contribuent aux actions du gouvernement israélien. Ils considèrent que le silence municipal face à ces activités engage également la responsabilité de Montréal.  

“L’inaction de la Ville de Montréal face aux abjections commises à l’endroit du peuple palestinien est honteuse. En ne dénonçant pas le génocide en cours à Gaza et la colonisation illégale des territoires palestiniens occupés de Cisjordanie, Montréal nous rend ses citoyens complices de son silence. Complice, la ville l’est aussi en laissant des entreprises basées sur son territoire produire et vendre des marchandises militaires au gouvernement israélien. C’est pour briser ce silence que nous prenons la parole aujourd’hui, afin de défendre l’idée d’une ville où le respect du droit humain, de la paix et du droit international sont des valeurs indiscutables, et où toutes les formes de racisme ou de discrimination sont impossibles” a déclaré Laura-Ève Lambert, autrice.   

Cette demande d’action ne découle pas d’un rejet de Montréal, mais d’un attachement à la ville et aux valeurs qu’elle affirme défendre. Les signataires souhaitent pouvoir être fiers de voir Montréal jouer un rôle de premier plan dans la lutte contre l’apartheid et les violations des droits de la personne.  

Je suis une artiste profondément amoureuse de ma ville et je refuse qu’elle soit complice de crimes contre l’humanité dont le peuple palestinien est victime. Ce serait une grande fierté que Montréal ait une position ferme contre l’apartheid et qu’elle mène le combat pour que cesse les atrocités en Palestine, comme au Liban.”a déclaré Coralie Laperrière, autrice et humoriste  

Cette mobilisation témoigne enfin d’une volonté grandissante au sein du milieu culturel québécois d’utiliser la création et la visibilité publique des artistes pour amplifier les voix trop souvent ignorées.  

Mon rôle en tant qu’artiste n’est pas simplement de faire le pitre et de divertir. L’autrice-compositrice-interprète Nina Simone disait que c’était notre « duty to reflect the times ». Impossible de réfléter notre époque, d’écrire, de jouer, de créer, sans lutter pour le respect de la dignité humaine, et donc sans exiger de nos gouvernements qu’ils prennent position clairement contre le génocide en cours en Palestine. Mon rôle est et sera toujours d’utiliser ma voix pour amplifier celles qu’on ne daigne pas écouter. En tant que personnalités publiques, nous jouissons d’une énorme tribune – disproportionnée par rapport à notre pertinence, parfois – et c’est le temps de l’utiliser à bon escient.”  a déclaré Emna Achour, chroniqueuse et humoriste   

La motion sera soumise au vote du conseil municipal de Montréal le 24 août 2026

La déclaration complète et la liste des signataires sont disponibles ici : https://mtlantiapartheid.ca/club-a-a-a 

À propos du Club anti-apartheid des artistes québécois 

Share this post