Almost 800 signatures–residents of Canada are called to sign.
Thank you to Liberal MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith for sponsoring E-3031
Petition to the Government of Canada
- Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) are unlawful under international law, as recognised by the United Nations Security Council, including in UN Security Resolution 2334 which reaffirmed that the establishment by Israel of settlements in the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem, has no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law;
- Israeli occupation authorities have issued a decision to forcibly evict 400 Palestinians from their homes in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood of East Jerusalem;
- Israeli forces have demolished 176 Palestinian homes in occupied Jerusalem since the beginning of this year and approved the establishment of 17,000 settlement units in Jerusalem; and
- Under Article 1 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, all high signatories, of which Canada is one, are required to take actions to ensure that violations of the Fourth Geneva Convention do not occur under any circumstance.
We, the undersigned, Residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
– call on Israel to stop its eviction of the Palestinian families in Sheik Jarrah, and its carrying out of the announced land settlement of title and registration policy in occupied East Jerusalem which will result in the permanent appropriation of Palestinian land by the State of Israel in flagrant violation of international law; and
-take steps required to stop Israel’s violations of international law, including its continued building of settlements and forced displacement in the West Bank, including occupied Jerusalem, and to end Israel’s blockade of Gaza.
Open for signatureDecember 9, 2020, at 5:19 p.m. (EDT)
Closed for signatureMarch 9, 2021, at 5:19 p.m. (EDT)
Nathaniel Erskine-SmithBeaches—East YorkLiberal CaucusOntario