Petition to the Government of Canada
- The February 2023 earthquakes in Syria and Turkey have been devastating, with thousands of people dead, injured and without homes, and critical infrastructure destroyed;
- Aid must be provided urgently to all affected areas of Syria, as it has been to Turkey;
- Canada’s unilateral coercive economic sanctions are impeding aid reaching many areas in Syria;
- The UN Charter recognizes that economic sanctions are an act of war, and thus, reserves the right to solely establish these economic measures under the United Nations Security Council;
- Syria is not sanctioned by the United Nations;
- Unilateral economic sanctions are incompatible with the general principles of international law;
- Canada has placed unliteral coercive economic sanctions on Syria;
- The United States has suspended some sanctions on Syria, in response to the earthquake;
- There has been a call by international human rights and humanitarian organizations, and faith groups to remove sanctions so needed assistance can reach all areas of Syria; and
- Urgent humanitarian assistance is required immediately, and there will be a critical need for aid to rebuild and recover for many months and even years.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to immediately and permanently end its unilateral economic sanctions on Syria so all impacted Syrian civil society can receive urgently needed resources.
Open for signatureMarch 2, 2023, at 11:18 a.m. (EDT)Closed for signatureApril 1, 2023, at 11:18 a.m. (EDT)
Read more about Canadian sanctions.