Almost 1,000 have signed in the first two days. Join them:
The petition to the Government of Canada reads:
- On 22 October 2021, the Israeli Defense Minister designated six leading Palestinian civil society organizations (CSOs) as terrorist organizations under the Israel Anti-Terror Law of 2016, including Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, Al-Haq Law in the Service of Man (Al-Haq), Bisan Center for Research and Development, Defense for Children International-Palestine (DCI-P), the Union of Agricultural Work Committees (UAWC), and the Union of Palestinian Women’s Committees (UPWC);
- Designations may result in seizure of CSO assets, office closures, and the arrest and jailing of staff members by the Israeli authorities;
- UN Special Rapporteurs condemned Israel’s designation of Palestinian human rights defenders as terrorist organizations stating, “the misuse of counter-terrorism measures in this way by the government of Israel undermines the security of all”;
- The designations violate the freedoms of opinion, expression, and association, amounting to prohibited acts of apartheid under Article 7(2)(h) of the Rome Statute; and
- Canada is obliged under Article 1 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, to ensure that violations of the Fourth Geneva Convention do not occur under any circumstance.
We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Call upon the Israeli authorities to immediately rescind the designations and end all efforts aimed at delegitimizing and criminalizing Palestinian human rights defenders;
2. Support Palestinians seeking the fundamental human rights, justice and accountability; and
3. Honour its obligation to ensure Israel’s compliance with international law.
All Canadian residents are invited to sign
Thank you to Liberal Member of Parliament for Beaches-East York Nathaniel Erskine-Smith for sponsoring.
Defending Palestinian Human Rights is not “Terrorism” 40+ organizations (representing more than 60 groups) signed the statement.
Subsequently, over 6,000 letters have been sent by individuals to Canadian elected officials.
Thanks to those organizations which have endorsed the statement that Defending Palestinian Human Rights is not “Terrorism”
Al Harah Theater
Academics for Palestine-Concordia
Boycott from Within
Canada Palestine Association
Canadian Arab Network.
Canadian BDS Coalition
Canadian Boat to Gaza
Canadian for Peace and Justice in Kashmir
Canadian Foreign Policy Institute
Canadian Peace Congress
Canadian Union of Postal Workers
Carleton University Students for Justice in Palestine
Catholics for Justice and Peace in the Holy Land
Collectif Judéo Arabe et Citoyen pour la Palestine
FOSNA ( Friends of Sabeel North America)
Greater Toronto for BDS (GT4BDS)
HR4A (Human Rights for All) Saskatoon
Independent Jewish Voices Canada
International Tribunal of Conscience of Peoples in Movement
Jewish Network for Palestine
Jews for Palestinian Right of Return
Just Peace Advocates
Just Peace Committee-BC
Justice For All Canada
Kingston Peace Council
Kingston Peace Council
Knowledge Track Inc.
Labor for Palestine (U.S.)
Netherlands Palestine Committee (Nederlands Palestina Komitee)
Oakville Palestinian Rights Association
Palestine Solidarity Collective at York University
Palestine Solidarity Network – Edmonton
Palestinian and Jewish Unity
People for Peace, London
Regina Peace Council
Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network
Solidarite populaire Estrie